Monkey hate technology, robot hate the monkey...

Monday, July 09, 2007

London, England

I've been in London for a day and a half now. The flight here was pretty amazing. Air Canada has individual touchscreens, power outlets, and *normal* headphone jacks for each seat! Anyways, London is amazing. First thing I did here was buy an Oyster card, an RFID subway card. I also met a bunch of nice people in the hostel and have been hanging out with them for the past day. I tried french alchohol, which tastes exactly like somph (sp?), walked around Liecester Square, and ate a kofte kabab. Today was pretty mellow, as I just took a morning walk, visited the Imperial War Museum, and passed out from jet lag for 4 hours. The War Museum is amazing, as they have collected historical documents, vehicles, and weaponry from every war in the past 100 years. It took me about 3 hours to see it all. Some of the interesting things I saw:
- Fmr. President Eisenhower's handwritten back-up note in case D-Day failed, along with a slew of confidential documents about Operation Overlord.
- An experimental German jet fighter from the end of the war
- A complete V2 rocket (really really tall)
- Spy gear from a former MI6 agent, including a pipe-pistol, gas-can bombs, and fake passports
- A complete model of Auschwitz with real voice recordings of SAS guards and Jewish prisoners
- A life-sized trench, that you could walk through and "experience" trench warfare
- Partial regiment of decommissioned tanks, complete with armaments
- Uniforms and letters of soldiers from every country who participated in a modern war (Ex. India and Pakistan equipment from Kashmir conflict(s))

Tomorrow, I'm going to try finding a second-hand shop so I can find a cheap digital camera. I'm stupid and left it at home...Also, I'm going to try walking/taking a bus along south bank, starting at the Tower of London, and ending at Buckingham palace. Later this week, I'm going to try to see the Harry Potter premiere!